News Room[BACK TO ARTICLES]
World Diabetes Day - 14 November 20172017/11/10 10:17:14 AM
Focus on control and treatment of Type 2 diabetes as incidence increases1
World Diabetes Day takes place on 14th November this year - an opportunity for people from all walks of life to unite in raising awareness to improve the lives of those with diabetes and those at risk
Midrand: If you are 35 years or older, overweight, especially around your waistline, and loathe doing exercise, you may well be at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.2 The risk is increased if you also have high blood pressure or elevated cholesterol levels, or a family history of diabetes.2
According to the International Diabetes Federation there were 2.28 million cases of diabetes in South Africa in 2015.3 Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes, with more than 90% of diabetic patients suffering from this form of the disease.4
Type 2 diabetes is a disorder of a person's metabolism, and its primary characteristic is high blood glucose.5 The reasons for the high blood glucose are insulin resistance and lack of insulin.5 Type 2 diabetes is controlled through exercise and meal planning and may require diabetes tablets and /or insulin to assist the body in making or using insulin more effectively. 2
A well-established first-line medication for Type 2 diabetes is metformin.4 Metformin both lowers glucose production in the liver and improves glucose utilisation.4 Despite the benefits of the medication, it is quite possible that during treatment essential nutrients may be depleted as a result of diabetes and the treatment thereof. 6
Adcock Ingram has recently launched the GAP range of supplements, which has been specifically formulated to replenish vitamins and minerals that have been depleted as a result of chronic diseases or the treatment thereof. GLUCO-GAP assists in the maintenance of the essential nutrients that may be depleted as a result of diabetes and the treatment thereof.6
GLUCO-GAPcontains HydroQsorb CoQ10. Co-enzymeQ10 acts as an antioxidant and is decreased in diabetic patients.6 Co-enzymeQ10 also seems to have a positive effect on the immune system in patients with diabetes.6 However CoQ10 is hydrophobic (not compatible with water), which inhibits its absorption.7 HydroQsorb, contained in GLUCO-GAP, has enhanced bioavailability, which allows for lower dosages of CoQ10 to accomplish the same degree of tissue incorporation.7 The tissue incorporation of 50mg HydroQsorb contained in each GLUCO-GAP capsule is equivalent to that of 200mg of CoQ10.7 GLUCO-GAP also containschromium, Vitamin D3 and Vitamins B1 and B12, all of which may have a beneficial effect during treatment of diabetes with metformin.6 The dosage of GLUCO-GAP is one capsule daily.
All the products in the GAP range are supported by significant clinical data and have been formulated to offer a convenient single daily dosage. Patients seeking further information should speak to their doctor or pharmacist about the GAP range of supplements.
Further information on the GAP range is available at: www.adcockgap.co.za
Each GLUCO-GAP Capsule contains: HydroQsorb (Co-enzyme Q10) 50 mg; Chromium 0,025 mg; Vitamin D3 800 IU; Vitamin B1 5mg; Vitamin B12 0,1mg. For full prescribing information refer to the package insert.
Adcock Ingram Limited. Reg. No. 1949/034385/06. Private Bag X69, Bryanston, 2021, South Africa.
Tel. +27 11 635 0000. www.adcock.com 1056200 11/2017
1. Global Report on Diabetes. World Health Organization 2016. [cited 2017 April 10]; Available from: http://www.who.int/diabetes/global-report/en/
2. Diabetes South Africa. Are you at risk? [cited 2017 November 02]; available from: https://www.diabetessa.org.za/are-you-at-risk/
3. International Diabetes Federation. Regions.[cited 2017 November 02]; Available from: https://www.idf.org/our-network/regions-members/africa/members/25-south-africa.html
4. Amod A, Ascott-Evans BH, Berg GI et al. The 2012 SEMDSA Guideline for the management of type 2 diabetes (revised). JEMDSA 2012;(Supplement 1):S1-S95.
5. CDE. What is Type 2 diabetes and why does it occur? [cited 2017 November 02]; Available from: http://www.cdediabetes.co.za/home/diabetes/type-2-diabetes.html
6. GLUCO-GAP package insert.
7. Craft NE and Failla M. In vitro assessment of coenzyme Q10 bioavailability in three products using caco-2 cells. Final report, Tishcon Corp 2006.
Notes to the Editor
The Adcock Ingram Over the Counter (OTC) division has recently launched a comprehensive range of 10 health supplements, each specifically formulated to replenish vitamins and minerals that have been depleted as a result of chronic (long-term) diseases, or the treatment thereof. Research shows that chronic diseases very often result in the depletion of certain vitamins and minerals, while the treatment itself may also result in depletion of those same essential vitamins and minerals. 8
Vitamins and minerals are a diverse group of substances that play an important role in patient well-being.9 Compared to proteins, carbohydrates and fats, the body needs very small amounts of these nutrients to function efficiently.9 A deficiency often occurs over time and can be caused by a number of factors including an increased need for a particular vitamin or mineral, difficulty in absorption or a dietary deficiency.8 In addition to the disease itself, treatment very often has a further depleting effect on necessary vitamins and nutrients, which then need to be supplemented.8
About the Adcock Ingram OTC division:
The OTC division competes in the self-medication pharmacy and FMCG sectors of the market, with a complement of 88 premium and economy brands. Well-known brands include Citro-Soda, Corenza Para-C and Allergex Non-Drowsy. The portfolio includes pain, cough and cold, allergy, digestive well-being medications and energy supplements.
8. Mineral Deficiency. [cited 2017 May 2]. Available from: http://www.healthline.com/health/mineral-deficiency#overview1
9. Eat for life: The Food and Nutrition Board’s Guide to Reducing Your Risk of Chronic Disease. [cited 2017 May 2]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK235010/.[BACK TO ARTICLES]